Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Support for parents and carers

How to support your child if you’re worried about their mental health

As parents and carers, it's natural to worry about how your child is feeling, whatever their age. Many children and young people will be able to cope if they have the support of their families and friends.

If you need urgent help

If a child has taken an overdose or needs urgent medical help, call 999 or take them to the nearest A&E department. In Stockport, it will be Stepping Hill hospital.

If you need urgent mental health support or advice, for example, if a child is having suicidal thoughts or is self-harming, call Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust 24 hour mental health helpline 0800 014 9995 or contact your GP for advice.

If you've noticed that a child or young person has physical injuries such as deep cuts or burns, contact NHS 111 online or your GP for advice.

If you’re worried about a child’s mental health

Make time to listen

Create a calm, safe space where they can communicate their feelings. They may feel overwhelmed by a changing situation which is not being clearly explained in a way they can understand.

Take time to talk

Some young people find it easier to talk while doing something together such as playing in the park, going for a walk, painting or other activities.

Try to understand the problems and provide reassurance that you've heard them and you're there to help. Their problems could be something you have not picked up on. This is very common, so do not feel guilty about it.

Visit the NHS Every Mind Matters website for advice about looking after a child or young person's mental health.

Other places to get help and support

It’s okay not to feel okay and looking after a child or young person who is unwell with their mental health can be very worrying. Talk to your child's school or education provider about how they can help and support your child in school or refer them for further support. You can also talk to other professionals such as your:

  • Health Visitor
  • school nurse
  • social worker

Visit the Start Well website for information about how to contact the health visiting and school nursing advice line.

You may be referred to another service to help support your child, depending on their age and needs.

Emotional wellbeing hub

You can contact the hub to get advice or request wellbeing support for your child. Call 0161 217 6028 and select option 2.

Online parenting courses

You can access a range of courses to help you understand your child. Visit the Our Place website to find courses.

Stockport residents can access the courses for free using the code REDROCK.

Parents and Carers Together in Stockport (PACTS)

If your child has a disability or additional needs, PACTS may be able to support you. Visit their website for more information.

Anna Freud

The Anna Freud website includes advice and guidance for parents and carers to help them support a child or young person experiencing poor mental health or wellbeing. Find out more on the Anna Freud website.


PAPYRUS is a UK charity dedicated to the prevention of suicide and promotion of positive mental health and emotional wellbeing in young people.

If you're worried about a young person, you can download a range of help and advice resources on the PAPYRUS website. This includes resources about:

  • conversation starters
  • coping techniques
  • self-harm

Support for yourself

Remember to look after yourself as well as your loved ones. You can: