Tips to get started
To make positive changes to your weight and keep those changes, set yourself realistic goals that can easily be introduced into your day-to-day life.
Once you’ve successfully made that change – pick another one.
We’ve listed 10 diet and exercise tips below to start you on your journey to reaching a healthy weight:
- Start small – to maintain any long-term changes start small and build up. Starting with small changes and setting yourself some initial goals will allow you to gradually turn these changes into habits
- Don’t skip breakfast – research shows that eating breakfast actually helps you to control your weight. Skipping breakfast can make you snack more throughout the day because you feel hungry. If you don’t have time to make a healthy breakfast, have some pieces of fruit instead
- Eat regular meals – having three meals a day with a healthy snack in between will help you to control your hunger and avoid temptation
- Prepare your meals – planning your meals in advance helps you to avoid the temptation to grab a quick, unhealthy meal or snack if you’ve prepared healthy ones
- Make shopping lists – you’re more likely to make healthy choices when writing it down, so take your list with you and stick to it
- Don’t stock up on junk food – to avoid temptation fill your cupboards with healthy snacks and avoid buying chocolate, sweets and crisps
- Watch portion sizes – it’s easy to overeat when you have too much on your plate, even though you might be feeling full. Start introducing smaller plates and bowls to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without feeling hungry
- Eat slowly – it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full, so eat slowly and enjoy what you’re eating. It will help you to recognise when you’re feeling full before being tempted to finish the plate when you’re not even hungry anymore
- Read food labels – this will help you to choose healthier options and keep track of the amount of calories, fat, sugar and salt you’re eating. You can find more information on our balanced diet page
- Move more – Regular activity will improve your overall health and wellbeing and also burn off excess calories. Read our types of physical activity page for tips and advice on how to start getting more active.