As well as helping you keep your body at a healthy weight, there are so many other benefits to be had by making healthy eating a permanent part of your everyday life.
By maintaining a healthy diet you'll:
- have more control over your weight
- reduce your risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke and some cancers
- have more energy and be able to be more active
- be less prone to mood swings and stress
- have increased productivity
- have healthier hair, clearer skin and stronger nails
- enjoy better sleep and rest.
A real healthy diet is not temporary, it means making positive manageable changes that you can live with and benefit from for the rest of your life.
By eating more of the things that are good for you, less of the things that are not so good for you, and making sure you move enough you can promote your overall health.
A healthy diet is about finding the right balance, having more energy and feeling great – not strict diets and depriving yourself of the foods you love.
You can start planning for a healthier diet by making small, manageable changes and over time those small changes become habits. This could be as simple as swapping chips for boiled potatoes or changing from full fat milk to semi-skimmed.
The important thing to remember is that balance is key when it comes to eating healthy. By getting the balance right, you can enjoy a wide variety of different foods and drinks in the right proportions.